Egyptian British International School
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Handling time (for disorganized students) exam

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Handling time (for disorganized students) exam Empty
PostSubject: Handling time (for disorganized students) exam   Handling time (for disorganized students) exam Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 6:59 pm

History 101: Handling Time? Name: _____________________

“History is the present. That's why every generation writes it anew. But what most people think of as history is its end product, myth.” - E. L. DOCTOROW
A) Copy the quotation in your notebook.

B) Using complete sentences, answer the following questions in your notebook:
1. Write a definition of generation in your own words.

2. List two examples that demonstrate your understanding.

3. Who was E.L. Doctorow?

4. What does this quotation mean to you?

5. What is a myth?

There are many different words to describe the past. It is important we know how to use them correctly to be accurate historians. Copy and complete this table in your notebook:

Time How it is measured in time How do you say in Arabic
100 metre running race

A running Marathon

The time in the morning

The time in the afternoon

Time 24 hours ago

Time 7 days ago

Time over 30 days ago

Time over 100 years ago

Time over 365 years ago

Time over 1000 years ago

Time before Christ’s birth

Time after Christ’s birth

Time after Mohamed’s birth

A period

A millennium

D) In your notebook, write each of the above in a sentence. For example, a century is one hundred years. I live in the 21st century.

E) Finding out which year is in can be tricky; the easiest way is to cover up the first two numbers and add one. For example, 1459 is the 15th Century.

In your notebook, answer the following, The Year 1584 is in the ___________ Century. Do the same for the years 1275, 2009, 1899, and 654.

F) Copy and complete this time line to show the terms decade and century.

1900 2000

Extension Task1:

My name is ______________ ______________. I was born in the __________ century. My date of birth is ____________________ (BC/AD). In my lifetime I have entered a new ___________ and now live in the _____ century. I celebrate the millennium ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Chronology lesson (for students who lack listening skills) - exam revision   Handling time (for disorganized students) exam Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 7:17 pm

1. The word 'chronology' is made from two Greek words. What are they?
___chronos____________logos_____________

2. What does each mean?

chronos – meaning time; logos – meaning discourse or reasoning (working out)

3. The word ‘chronology’ therefore means ‘the working out of time’

4. Since ancient times man has used a variety of devices to tell the time. How is Time ordered? List 7 ways.
Seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, years

5. What does “Working out time” mean?
__Giving that time some order

6. Name two other ways we can say “working out time”
_We are making a chronology OR putting time into chronological order

7. What purpose does a time line serve? Is one way of showing a chronology
Back to top Go down
Hashem Elezabi

PostSubject: Re: Handling time (for disorganized students) exam   Handling time (for disorganized students) exam Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 7:19 pm

In the sheet you gave us in the beginning of the year, there is everything except this. But I'm not disorganized. In the table, you make it so close to each other so I thought that it was one sentence or paragraph, please post only the table of times(the time 30 days ago, the time 100 years ago, etc..........) but separated this time. Sorry if I made you tired, I only need this, please.
Best Wishes,
Hashem Elezabi
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Handling time (for disorganized students) exam   Handling time (for disorganized students) exam Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 7:22 pm

Hashem Elezabi wrote:
In the sheet you gave us in the beginning of the year, there is everything except this. But I'm not disorganized. In the table, you make it so close to each other so I thought that it was one sentence or paragraph, please post only the table of times(the time 30 days ago, the time 100 years ago, etc..........) but separated this time. Sorry if I made you tired, I only need this, please.
Best Wishes,
Hashem Elezabi

I try to minimize paper.
Back to top Go down
Hashem Elezabi

PostSubject: Re: Handling time (for disorganized students) exam   Handling time (for disorganized students) exam Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 7:29 pm

Ok miss, I'll try to figure out what's in the table. Fortunately, it became easy after a while.
Best Wishes, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Hashem Elezabi
Back to top Go down
Hashem Elezabi

PostSubject: Re: Handling time (for disorganized students) exam   Handling time (for disorganized students) exam Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 10:54 am

Thanks very much miss Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
alia essam

alia essam

PostSubject: Re: Handling time (for disorganized students) exam   Handling time (for disorganized students) exam Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 2:31 pm

Hashem Elezabi wrote:
Ok miss, I'll try to figure out what's in the table. Fortunately, it became easy after a while.
Best Wishes, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Hashem Elezabi
dear hashem,
i didnt understand the part (of the 100 bc, before christ ...)
please can you explain it to me?
Back to top Go down
Hashem Elezabi

PostSubject: Re: Handling time (for disorganized students) exam   Handling time (for disorganized students) exam Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 6:51 pm

Hello Alia,
I miss you soooooooooooooo much. I didn't understand this part also at the beginning but then I fortunately understood. You must put each word in a sentence, like let's pick a millennium:
You must say for example: A millennium is 2000 years (I think). Only one millennium passed since the birth of Christ.
Best Wishes, and I hope you understand now(if not ask again which part you don't understand and don't worry!),
Hashem Elezabi
Back to top Go down
Hashem Elezabi

PostSubject: Re: Handling time (for disorganized students) exam   Handling time (for disorganized students) exam Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 7:01 pm

Good Evening, Miss Batte,
I miss you sooooooooooooooooooooooooo much. Miss, question 1 and 2 in the "Revision History Skills" topic, I answered it, but I want to check my answer, I wrote:
1-What do students do studying HISTORY?
a. They develop a chronological framework for their knowledge of significant people and events (I got this from the text: importance of history)
b.They consider how the past influences the present, they understand more about themselves as individuals and members of a society.
2-How do they accomplish this?
a. The find evidence
b. They weigh it up
c. They reach their own conclusion.
Please reply, is this right?
Note: when you put the answers(thanks very much for this) you put it starting from number 3, so is what I wrote for numbers 1 and 2 right?
Best Wishes,
Hashem Elezabi
Back to top Go down
alia essam

alia essam

PostSubject: Re: Handling time (for disorganized students) exam   Handling time (for disorganized students) exam Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 11:40 am

[quote="Hashem Elezabi"]Hello Alia,
I miss you soooooooooooooo much. I didn't understand this part also at the beginning but then I fortunately understood. You must put each word in a sentence, like let's pick a millennium:
You must say for example: A millennium is 2000 years (I think). Only one millennium passed since the birth of Christ.
Best Wishes, and I hope you understand now(if not ask again which part you don't understand and don't worry!),
Hashem Elezabi[/quote
thnx alot hashem Very Happy
Back to top Go down
alia essam

alia essam

PostSubject: Re: Handling time (for disorganized students) exam   Handling time (for disorganized students) exam Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 11:40 am

[quote="alia essam"]
Hashem Elezabi wrote:
Hello Alia,
Hashem Elezabi[/quote
you really really helped me
Back to top Go down
alia essam

alia essam

PostSubject: Re: Handling time (for disorganized students) exam   Handling time (for disorganized students) exam Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 11:41 am

[quote="alia essam"]
alia essam wrote:
Hashem Elezabi wrote:
Hello Alia,
Hashem Elezabi[/quote
tyhnx again
Back to top Go down
alia essam

alia essam

PostSubject: Re: Handling time (for disorganized students) exam   Handling time (for disorganized students) exam Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 11:41 am

[quote="alia essam"]
alia essam wrote:
alia essam wrote:
Hashem Elezabi wrote:
Hello Alia,
Hashem Elezabi[/quote
tyhnx again
this was the only h.w i did not know how to solve
Back to top Go down
alia essam

alia essam

PostSubject: Re: Handling time (for disorganized students) exam   Handling time (for disorganized students) exam Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 12:24 pm

how about what are we supposed to do in the extention part? ? ?
Back to top Go down
Hashem Elezabi

PostSubject: Re: Handling time (for disorganized students) exam   Handling time (for disorganized students) exam Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 1:19 pm

You should fill it. Like in the first space you must say your name, in the second you must say in which century you are born (you are born in 1998, so cover the first two numbers <19> as Miss Batte said and add to them 1 then put them again without the last two numbers <98>) then fill the other spaces, I hope this helps.
Best Wishes,
Hashem Elezabi
Back to top Go down
Hashem Elezabi

PostSubject: Re: Handling time (for disorganized students) exam   Handling time (for disorganized students) exam Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 1:19 pm

Your welcome, Alia. It was a pleasure to help you
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Handling time (for disorganized students) exam   Handling time (for disorganized students) exam Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 1:53 pm

Hashem Elezabi wrote:
Good Evening, Miss Batte,
I miss you sooooooooooooooooooooooooo much. Miss, question 1 and 2 in the "Revision History Skills" topic, I answered it, but I want to check my answer, I wrote:
1-What do students do studying HISTORY?
a. They develop a chronological framework for their knowledge of significant people and events (I got this from the text: importance of history)
b.They consider how the past influences the present, they understand more about themselves as individuals and members of a society.
2-How do they accomplish this?
a. The find evidence
b. They weigh it up
c. They reach their own conclusion.
Please reply, is this right?
Note: when you put the answers(thanks very much for this) you put it starting from number 3, so is what I wrote for numbers 1 and 2 right?
Best Wishes,
Hashem Elezabi

correct.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Handling time (for disorganized students) exam   Handling time (for disorganized students) exam Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 1:55 pm

alia essam wrote:
Hashem Elezabi wrote:
Hashem Elezabi
dear hashem,
i didnt understand the part (of the 100 bc, before christ ...)
please can you explain it to me?

BC is before Christ

one millenium is 1000 yrs
Back to top Go down
alia essam

alia essam

PostSubject: Re: Handling time (for disorganized students) exam   Handling time (for disorganized students) exam Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 3:28 pm

Hashem Elezabi wrote:
Your welcome, Alia. It was a pleasure to help you
thnx again Very Happy
u helped me ALOT
Back to top Go down
Hashem Elezabi

PostSubject: Re: Handling time (for disorganized students) exam   Handling time (for disorganized students) exam Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 6:36 pm

Your welcome
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Handling time (for disorganized students) exam   Handling time (for disorganized students) exam Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Handling time (for disorganized students) exam
Page 1 of 1