Egyptian British International School
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What is Bias? (for disorganized students) - Exam

Go down 
+2
mariam
Hashem Elezabi
6 posters
AuthorMessage

What is Bias?  (for disorganized students) - Exam Empty
PostSubject: What is Bias? (for disorganized students) - Exam   What is Bias?  (for disorganized students) - Exam Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 6:57 pm

Bias is putting across an unfair or one sided opinion.

If you had to write a fair and true story of a football match between
Manchester United and Newcastle you would have to describe exactly what happened.

The following story of a football match was was written by a
Manchester United fan, her team had lost 5-0!

The writer is showing bias, because he is putting across an unfair or one-sided opinion. Newcastle are always described a lucky or cheating, but Man United are always described as superb.

Historians have to be very careful because if someone is biased they are not telling us the full story or giving us a fair account of what happened.

It is important to know who wrote or created a source and, why they wrote what they did. Were they being fair or unfair? Did they have a reason for writing what they did? Were they showing bias?

Bias can be very useful though as it helps us to learn about people’s opinions and beliefs. Spotting bias is a skill that all historians need to develop.

1. Copy out this paragraph and fill in the missing words, using the words in the table to help you.

Bias is when someone has a _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ opinion about something. We can recognise bias by finding _ _ _ _ _ _ opinions. Bias is useful because it helps us find out a person’s _ _ _ _ _ _ _or _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _.

If someone _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _a particular football team , they might show _ _ _ _ when describing a match. Everything their team does would be described as _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ but everything the opposing team does would be described as _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ or _ _ _ _ .

fantastic beliefs opinions unfair bias
one-sided lucky awful supports

2. Glue your copy of the biased report of the football match into your book. Use a pen or pencil to underline in one colour where the report is biased against Newcastle.

3. Next use another colour to underline where the report is biased in favour of Man United

4. Now write the football report as if you support Newcastle – How would it change?

5. How is bias useful to historians?

6. If you had to find out about something but you knew all of your sources are biased would this be a problem? Clue: Think about what the sources might be useful for!

7. In your groups, read the following passages and discuss bias.

“Newcastle were so lucky at the match. The superb and skilfulMan United players were beaten by the lucky, cheating Newcastle players. The referee was totally biased, he allowed five goals that were all offside. I have never seen so much luck and cheating.”

“Newcastle were so lucky at the match. The superb and skilful Man United players were beaten by the lucky, cheating Newcastle players. The referee was totally biased, he allowed five goals that were all offside. I have never seen so much luck and cheating.”

“Newcastle were so lucky at the match. The superb and skilful Man United players were beaten by the lucky, cheating Newcastle players. The referee was totally biased, he allowed five goals that were all offside. I have never seen so much luck
and cheating.”

“Newcastle were so lucky at the match. The superb and skilful Man United players were beaten by the lucky, cheating Newcastle players. The referee was totally biased, he allowed five goals that were all offside. I have never seen so much luck and cheating.”

Back to top Go down
Hashem Elezabi

PostSubject: Re: What is Bias? (for disorganized students) - Exam   What is Bias?  (for disorganized students) - Exam Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 7:00 pm

Miss I already have it because I'm NOT disorganized.
Best Wishes,
Hashem Elezabi
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is Bias? (for disorganized students) - Exam   What is Bias?  (for disorganized students) - Exam Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 7:23 pm

Hashem Elezabi wrote:
Best Wishes,
Hashem Elezabi

You may, but I can anticipate many students do not.
Back to top Go down
Hashem Elezabi

PostSubject: Re: What is Bias? (for disorganized students) - Exam   What is Bias?  (for disorganized students) - Exam Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 7:27 pm

Thanks miss, as I said in the "Importance of history topic", I appreciate this effort very much. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Best Wishes,
Hashem Elezabi
Back to top Go down
mariam

mariam

PostSubject: Re: What is Bias? (for disorganized students) - Exam   What is Bias?  (for disorganized students) - Exam Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 9:50 am

Hashem Elezabi wrote:
Best Wishes,
Hashem Elezabi
me 2 i have it cuz i am organized
Back to top Go down
http://..................
alia essam

alia essam

PostSubject: Re: What is Bias? (for disorganized students) - Exam   What is Bias?  (for disorganized students) - Exam Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 2:08 pm

i have it too
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ali

Ali

PostSubject: Re: What is Bias? (for disorganized students) - Exam   What is Bias?  (for disorganized students) - Exam Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 4:11 pm

Hi Ms.Batte! I know your off but can you or anyone tell me the exercises that you post is revision or homework. Please reply.

Best wishes,
Ali
Back to top Go down
abdelrahman_elamawy

PostSubject: hello   What is Bias?  (for disorganized students) - Exam Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 4:16 pm

ali i think its revision have a wonderful year.
miss you . Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Omar ashraf shebl

Omar ashraf shebl

PostSubject: Re: What is Bias? (for disorganized students) - Exam   What is Bias?  (for disorganized students) - Exam Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2009 9:12 pm

What is that bias fill-in-the blank. Are we going to have something like that in the exam?! Please can anyone reply?

Omar Ashraf Shebl Y6
Back to top Go down
Ali

Ali

PostSubject: Handling time (for disorganized students) - Exam   What is Bias?  (for disorganized students) - Exam Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2009 9:42 pm

Good evening Ms.Batte! I know you're off in Jordan but can you or anyone tell me is Dividing time and Handling time the same because Ms.Batte wrote in the Y6 History study guide in subtopics that Dividing time is in the exam but then, she posted on the forum Handling time (for disorganized students) that is in the exam but not written in the study guide. Please reply.

Best wishes,
Ali Ashraf Shebl Y6
Back to top Go down
Omar ashraf shebl

Omar ashraf shebl

PostSubject: Re: What is Bias? (for disorganized students) - Exam   What is Bias?  (for disorganized students) - Exam Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2009 9:52 pm

Sorry Ms.Batte I found the "What is Bias" sheet. Have a nice vacation in Jordan.

Best wishes,
Omar Ashraf Shebl Y6
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is Bias? (for disorganized students) - Exam   What is Bias?  (for disorganized students) - Exam Icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2010 4:50 pm

Ali wrote:
Hi Ms.Batte! I know your off but can you or anyone tell me the exercises that you post is revision or homework. Please reply.

Best wishes,
Ali

Revision. The only homework I gave you was for Literacy and the spelling quiz once classes resume.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is Bias? (for disorganized students) - Exam   What is Bias?  (for disorganized students) - Exam Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is Bias? (for disorganized students) - Exam
Page 1 of 1