Egyptian British International School
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

YEAR 7 mid-year vacation GEOGRAPHY pack

Go down 
+3
Ola
Nora
jbutler
7 posters
AuthorMessage
jbutler

YEAR 7 mid-year vacation GEOGRAPHY pack Empty
PostSubject: YEAR 7 mid-year vacation GEOGRAPHY pack   YEAR 7 mid-year vacation GEOGRAPHY pack Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 7:40 pm

Good evening to all Year 7 Geographers
I hope you have all recovered from the excitement of today’s House Tournament.
You may have noticed by now that the pack for the GEOGRAPHY has parts of the text missing due to the poor quality of the photocopying.
I have posted a few notes below to try and fill the gaps.... take careful note of page numbers I am referring to and tasks.

FRONT COVER should read....
This pack includes information and tasks on the topic of settlement.
Objectives for the work are.....

PAGE ONE should read.....
The objective for this lesson is to ensure you have a good understanding of what we mean by settlement and also how people might have chosen a SITE for an early settlement. You will need to read both the information and instructions CAREFULLY for each task.

Settlement is an important topic for geographers to study because everybody lives in a settlement of one type or another.

For example, you all live in one of the largest types of settlement- a city.
Other people may live in one of the smallest types of settlements – an individual farm for example.

Task 1
Copy and learn the following important definitions
A settlement is.....
The site of the settlement is......

Where did people actually build the first settlements and why?
Most settlements today .......

YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO READ THE REMAINDER OF PAGE ONE

PAGE TWO should read....

Task 2

Look at diagram B on the next page (3). It shows part of the landscape that early settlers might have considered for their settlement. Your task is to imagine YOU are the leader of a group of early settlers that has sailed up the river. You have to choose the best site for a village. You have the choice of sites V, W, X, Y and Z.

The table below the instructions has part of the first column missing. Below is the information that you require for the first column.
Natural feature of the site
Water supply ( e.g. river)
Good farming land ( e.g. flat land)
Wood or stone nearby for building (e.g. near to trees or rocky hillside)
Dry land ( e.g. dry places away from the edge of a river)
Defence ( e.g. up on a hilltop where you can see you enemy coming!)
The other features in column one you can read for yourself...
Flat land...
Shelter....

YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO READ THE REMAINDER OF PAGE TWO

PAGE THREE should read...

SCORING SHEET
Give a score for each natural feature that is found at each site.
Give the site:-
4 if the site is excellent for a particular feature
3 if the site is very good......
2 if the site is good but has some problems
1 if the site is only just acceptable
0 if the site does not have a particular feature

The diagram on page3 is DIAGRAM B

YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO READ THE REMAINDER OF PAGE THREE

PAGE FOUR should read....

Settlements today
Settlements have changed a lot since they were first built. Today settlements are places that are useful for people. Most provide houses, jobs, shops, offices, entertainment and other services.

Task 3

Case study of the settlement of Cairo
You need to write a simple explanation about Cairo that includes the following:-
1. Map....
2. Research why....
3. What does Cairo have to offer.....
Give your work a suitable title. Make the explanation no more than two A4 sides. Remember the different ways you can research........

YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO READ THE REMAINDER OF PAGE FOUR

I hope this makes all the text that is missing from your pack clear for you.
Take your time when you complete the activities. They do require you to think for yourselves.

Good Luck and have a restful vacation week!

Ms Butler
Back to top Go down
Nora

Nora

PostSubject: Re: YEAR 7 mid-year vacation GEOGRAPHY pack   YEAR 7 mid-year vacation GEOGRAPHY pack Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 2:15 pm

heyy...umm Miss is this the only geography homework for this vacation .... what about the haiti research u told us to do it on this vac. do we still need to do it cs u didnt mention it since a while ???? confused confused confused confused confused confused confused confused confused confused
Back to top Go down
jbutler

PostSubject: Mid- term vacation homework   YEAR 7 mid-year vacation GEOGRAPHY pack Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 1:52 pm

Dear all Year 7 Geographers.

You all need to attempt the mid-term vacation pack with the corrections to the photocopying that I posted on the forum on Thursday 4th Feb at 7.40pm.

In addition you MUST complete the research and report on the recent Haiti earthquake. This was work that was set the week before you broke up for vacation. Some students handed their work to me before the break but if you recall I did say you could use the break to complete your research. It will be due in by the end of next week....NO EXTENSIONS beyond that point. It is an important piece of work as it will go towards your final grade.

Good luck and enjoy the rest of your holiday!
Ms Butler
Back to top Go down
Ola

Ola

PostSubject: Re: YEAR 7 mid-year vacation GEOGRAPHY pack   YEAR 7 mid-year vacation GEOGRAPHY pack Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 9:56 pm

Ms. Batlur
How many words do u want for the Haiti research ?!
Back to top Go down
jbutler

PostSubject: Haiti report   YEAR 7 mid-year vacation GEOGRAPHY pack Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 12:40 pm

Hello to Year 7 Geographers
I asked for a minimum of three A4 sides for the Haiti report. I did not specify the word limit because I would prefer you to write in a way that is comfortable for you as individual writers. Some of course will write concisely, that is use less words to get across the same information, while others will write a longer piece.

The three sides does include a map to show the location of Haiti.

Other things that should be included are:-
* Size of earthquake ( use Richter Scale)
* Number of people killed
* number of people made homeless
* Damage done to buildings and communications ( roads etc)
* Rescue efforts
* Long-term problems (problems that will continue a long time after the earthquake)
* Overall conclusion to the report

Hope this helps
Ms Butler
Back to top Go down
Ola

Ola

PostSubject: Re: YEAR 7 mid-year vacation GEOGRAPHY pack   YEAR 7 mid-year vacation GEOGRAPHY pack Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 10:17 pm

Ms. Batlur
I cant do the table or any question that is depending on diagram B because the diagram isn't clear and i cant differentiate between rivers,green areas etc !
so im wondering if u can post a link for the diagram...?
Ola
Back to top Go down
Ali mostafa

PostSubject: Re: YEAR 7 mid-year vacation GEOGRAPHY pack   YEAR 7 mid-year vacation GEOGRAPHY pack Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2010 12:22 am

but mrs. butler already did a correction to all the not clear words in the first of the page lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Ola

Ola

PostSubject: Re: YEAR 7 mid-year vacation GEOGRAPHY pack   YEAR 7 mid-year vacation GEOGRAPHY pack Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2010 1:46 pm

Ali I'm talking about the diagram !
Back to top Go down
badawy

badawy

PostSubject: Re: YEAR 7 mid-year vacation GEOGRAPHY pack   YEAR 7 mid-year vacation GEOGRAPHY pack Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 12:38 pm

mis butlur.....
When is the dead line of the project of HAITI
yours,
mohamed badawy
Back to top Go down
youssef said

youssef said

Location : my bed, my room, my house, cairo, egypt, africa, the world, the galaxy, the universe.

PostSubject: Re: YEAR 7 mid-year vacation GEOGRAPHY pack   YEAR 7 mid-year vacation GEOGRAPHY pack Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 12:56 pm

your first geography lesson mohamed
Back to top Go down
Mahmoud moenes

Mahmoud moenes

PostSubject: maps   YEAR 7 mid-year vacation GEOGRAPHY pack Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 11:43 am

Hi miss butler

Shall We study the maps of USA (san fransisco) and EGYPT (cairo)

Pls asap
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: YEAR 7 mid-year vacation GEOGRAPHY pack   YEAR 7 mid-year vacation GEOGRAPHY pack Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

YEAR 7 mid-year vacation GEOGRAPHY pack
Page 1 of 1