Egyptian British International School
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Dec 17 Proof reading, vocab and analogies

Go down 
+6
Ali
Mahmoud El Kadi
nourhan attallah
alia essam
abdelrahman_elamawy
Hashem Elezabi
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Dec 17 Proof reading, vocab and analogies Empty
PostSubject: Dec 17 Proof reading, vocab and analogies   Dec 17 Proof reading, vocab and analogies Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 12:19 am

Proof Reading Warm-ups:
1) a. cassie is eight christopher is seven john is six and Stacey the eldest was eleven
b. her big brother say that the song of the trees are only the sound of the wind

2) a. yesterday the girl listen to the pines in the forrest

b. when mr andersen came back he grateful to the family

3) a. one hundred dollars aren’t much money for all them trees

b. Mildred D. Taylor the author of the short story Sone Of The Trees modeled david logan after herself’s own father

4) a. was kevins leg broke

b. allthough Anne McCaffrey lives in ireland she was growing up in N.J.

Vocabulary: Connotations

7. 8.
1. P R A T T L E

4. 5.
2. 6.

Directions: To complete the puzzle, look for a word that has a similar meaning to the clue word.

- P means to look for a word with a positive connotation.
- N means to look for a word with a negative connotation.
-
Write the words on your paper. The first one has been done as an example.

CLUE WORDS

Across ANSWER CHOICES
1) speak (N) arrogant
2) confident (N) nag
3) smile (N) certain
smirk
Down converse
4) smile (P) prattle
5) speak (P) prompt
6) remind (N) grin
7) remind (P)
Cool confident (P)

Analogies show relationships between pairs of works.

Directions:
- Select the pair of words that best completes each analogy.
- Then, state how the two pairs of words are alike.

1. CREEK : RIVER : : 3. DEFEAT : VANQUISH : :
A stone : boulder A navigate : maneuver
B ocean : sea B implore : say
C knapsack : cradle C gratify : disturb
D vessel : sailor D return : flee
E land : stream E annoy : harass

2. DEEP : PROFOUND : : 4. STICK : ADHERE : :
A lenient : permissive A adopt : expel
B narrow : wide B attract : invade
C competent : shallow C stay : banish
D nervous : bold D afford : spend
E unfortunate : lucky E join : ally

Critical Reading: Sentence Completions

Directions:
- Read each sentence, and think about its main idea. Look for key words or phrases that signal contrast, such as just as, similarly, and likewise.
- Select the word or set of words that best completes each sentence. Then, explain you choice.

1. Just as football fans enthusiastically anticipate the Super Bowl, soccer fans ____________ await the World Cup.

A hesitantly D awkwardly
B fortunately E hopelessly
C eagerly

2. During the nineteenth century, the Industrial Revolution had a ____________ effect on the workplace; similarly, the information revolution has had a significant _________ on today’s workplace.

A simple … development D negative … reduction
B profound … impact E permanent … statement
C temporary … impression

3. Wearing a helmet is __________ when riding a bicycle; likewise, using a ___________ is a basic protective measure when traveling by car.

A recommended … cell phone D neglected … windshield
B required … sunscreen E essential … seat belt
C dangerous … flashlight
Back to top Go down
Hashem Elezabi

PostSubject: Re: Dec 17 Proof reading, vocab and analogies   Dec 17 Proof reading, vocab and analogies Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 7:52 pm

Ms.Batte wrote:
Proof Reading Warm-ups:
1) a. cassie is eight christopher is seven john is six and Stacey the eldest was eleven
b. her big brother say that the song of the trees are only the sound of the wind

2) a. yesterday the girl listen to the pines in the forrest

b. when mr andersen came back he grateful to the family

3) a. one hundred dollars aren’t much money for all them trees

b. Mildred D. Taylor the author of the short story Sone Of The Trees modeled david logan after herself’s own father

4) a. was kevins leg broke

b. allthough Anne McCaffrey lives in ireland she was growing up in N.J.

Vocabulary: Connotations

7. 8.
1. P R A T T L E

4. 5.
2. 6.

Directions: To complete the puzzle, look for a word that has a similar meaning to the clue word.

- P means to look for a word with a positive connotation.
- N means to look for a word with a negative connotation.
-
Write the words on your paper. The first one has been done as an example.

CLUE WORDS

Across ANSWER CHOICES
1) speak (N) arrogant
2) confident (N) nag
3) smile (N) certain
smirk
Down converse
4) smile (P) prattle
5) speak (P) prompt
6) remind (N) grin
7) remind (P)
Cool confident (P)

Analogies show relationships between pairs of works.

Directions:
- Select the pair of words that best completes each analogy.
- Then, state how the two pairs of words are alike.

1. CREEK : RIVER : : 3. DEFEAT : VANQUISH : :
A stone : boulder A navigate : maneuver
B ocean : sea B implore : say
C knapsack : cradle C gratify : disturb
D vessel : sailor D return : flee
E land : stream E annoy : harass

2. DEEP : PROFOUND : : 4. STICK : ADHERE : :
A lenient : permissive A adopt : expel
B narrow : wide B attract : invade
C competent : shallow C stay : banish
D nervous : bold D afford : spend
E unfortunate : lucky E join : ally

Critical Reading: Sentence Completions

Directions:
- Read each sentence, and think about its main idea. Look for key words or phrases that signal contrast, such as just as, similarly, and likewise.
- Select the word or set of words that best completes each sentence. Then, explain you choice.

1. Just as football fans enthusiastically anticipate the Super Bowl, soccer fans ____________ await the World Cup.

A hesitantly D awkwardly
B fortunately E hopelessly
C eagerly

2. During the nineteenth century, the Industrial Revolution had a ____________ effect on the workplace; similarly, the information revolution has had a significant _________ on today’s workplace.

A simple … development D negative … reduction
B profound … impact E permanent … statement
C temporary … impression

3. Wearing a helmet is __________ when riding a bicycle; likewise, using a ___________ is a basic protective measure when traveling by car.

A recommended … cell phone D neglected … windshield
B required … sunscreen E essential … seat belt
C dangerous … flashlight
Good Evening, miss Batte,
Can you please explain what's this, thanks Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Best Wishes,
Hashem Elezabi
Back to top Go down
abdelrahman_elamawy

PostSubject: hello   Dec 17 Proof reading, vocab and analogies Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 8:22 pm

hashem i think the miss is saying that this is an example to how to write a story.
miss you very much. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Hashem Elezabi

PostSubject: Re: Dec 17 Proof reading, vocab and analogies   Dec 17 Proof reading, vocab and analogies Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 8:40 pm

Me too I miss you more. Thank you very much.
Back to top Go down
abdelrahman_elamawy

PostSubject: hello   Dec 17 Proof reading, vocab and analogies Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 9:21 am

your welcome hashem
miss you very much.
best wishes
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
alia essam

alia essam

PostSubject: Re: Dec 17 Proof reading, vocab and analogies   Dec 17 Proof reading, vocab and analogies Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 11:42 am

abdelrahman_elamawy wrote:
your welcome hashem
miss you very much.
best wishes
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
soo ..
what are we supposed to do here?
Back to top Go down
alia essam

alia essam

PostSubject: Re: Dec 17 Proof reading, vocab and analogies   Dec 17 Proof reading, vocab and analogies Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 11:43 am

alia essam wrote:
your welcome hashem
miss you very much.
best wishes
soo ..
should we practice writing the story
Back to top Go down
nourhan attallah

nourhan attallah

PostSubject: Re: Dec 17 Proof reading, vocab and analogies   Dec 17 Proof reading, vocab and analogies Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 3:53 am

alia essam wrote:
alia essam wrote:
your welcome hashem
miss you very much.
best wishes
soo ..
should we practice writing the story

yes, i think soo miss batte please repley
thxx!!! Razz
Back to top Go down
abdelrahman_elamawy

PostSubject: hello   Dec 17 Proof reading, vocab and analogies Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 11:31 am

i think because we haven't bin writing a story for week. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Hashem Elezabi

PostSubject: Re: Dec 17 Proof reading, vocab and analogies   Dec 17 Proof reading, vocab and analogies Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 11:40 am

Good Morning, every body,
I miss you soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much. In the first exercise we must add full punctuation (full stops, commas, capital letters, question marks, etc...) and correct spelling. In the second exercise I actually can't understand anything.
Best Wishes,
Hashem Elezabi
Back to top Go down
Mahmoud El Kadi

Mahmoud El Kadi

PostSubject: Re: Dec 17 Proof reading, vocab and analogies   Dec 17 Proof reading, vocab and analogies Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 12:01 pm

Hi everybody! Look if you cant understand the second question, try to look up the word connotation in a dictionary! It will really help.
Back to top Go down
Ali

Ali

PostSubject: Re: Dec 17 Proof reading, vocab and analogies   Dec 17 Proof reading, vocab and analogies Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 3:31 pm

Hi everybody! I think this isn't a practice for writing a story and we shouldn't write a story because Ms.Batte didn't say that. In the first exercise, we are supposed to correct punctuation, spelling etc... In the analogies as Ahmed said we're supposed to see are words related. I don't know the rest but in the last exercise we should choose a matching word from word bank that is under each sentence. I hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Ali
Back to top Go down
Ahmed Youssuf

Ahmed Youssuf

PostSubject: Re: Dec 17 Proof reading, vocab and analogies   Dec 17 Proof reading, vocab and analogies Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 3:39 pm

Ali wrote:
Hi everybody! I think this isn't a practice for writing a story and we shouldn't write a story because Ms.Batte didn't say that. In the first exercise, we are supposed to correct punctuation, spelling etc... In the analogies as Ahmed said we're supposed to see are words related. I don't know the rest but in the last exercise we should choose a matching word from word bank that is under each sentence. I hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Ali
Yes,
I agree with u ali,
There is nothing related
to writing a storyy here,
all u said is right,
Best Wishes,
Ahmed santa rendeer
Like a Star @ heaven HAPPY NEW YEAR Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
nour magdy20

PostSubject: Re: Dec 17 Proof reading, vocab and analogies   Dec 17 Proof reading, vocab and analogies Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 11:39 pm

HI guys imiss you sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much
i think ahmed and ali are right but the problem is in the second quesion does any body have an idea about it i dont think so but miss batte cant reply because she said that she will not be here until 2-december but i still dont have any idea of the second question confused Suspect
Best wishes Smile Surprised lol! lol! lol! lol!

santa happy new year santa
Back to top Go down
Hashem Elezabi

PostSubject: Re: Dec 17 Proof reading, vocab and analogies   Dec 17 Proof reading, vocab and analogies Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 11:54 am

I think as Mahmoud ElKady said we must look the word connotation in the dictionary, thanks Mahmoud.
Best Wishes,
Hashem Elezabi

Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Happy New Year Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
Mahmoud El Kadi

Mahmoud El Kadi

PostSubject: Re: Dec 17 Proof reading, vocab and analogies   Dec 17 Proof reading, vocab and analogies Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 2:14 pm

Your welcome Hashem! Good Luck Very Happy Cool Wink

Last edited by Mahmoud El Kadi on Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
omarash

PostSubject: Re: Dec 17 Proof reading, vocab and analogies   Dec 17 Proof reading, vocab and analogies Icon_minitimeFri Dec 25, 2009 2:22 pm

ahmad do you think you can tell me what to do in rikki tikki confused confused confused confused confused
Back to top Go down
Ahmed Youssuf

Ahmed Youssuf

PostSubject: Re: Dec 17 Proof reading, vocab and analogies   Dec 17 Proof reading, vocab and analogies Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 12:44 am

omarash wrote:
ahmad do you think you can tell me what to do in rikki tikki confused confused confused confused confused

Hi, Mohammad,
In the Rikki- Tikki and the sententences
under it are supposed for us to rewrite
them but with the correct puntuation,
capital letters etc.
I wish this helps Very Happy
Best wishes,!!!
Ahmed santa

Last edited by Ahmed Youssuf on Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
abdelrahman_elamawy

PostSubject: hello   Dec 17 Proof reading, vocab and analogies Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 12:33 pm

miss batte can you send to me the paper that is introduction to genres because i was absent in a week and i didn't take it so please can you send it to me on the e-mail:
abdelrahman_elamawy@hotmail.com Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Mahmoud El Kadi

Mahmoud El Kadi

PostSubject: Re: Dec 17 Proof reading, vocab and analogies   Dec 17 Proof reading, vocab and analogies Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 12:39 pm

Abdo, did you forget? Miss.Batte is away. She'll be back on the 2nd
Back to top Go down
alia essam

alia essam

PostSubject: Re: Dec 17 Proof reading, vocab and analogies   Dec 17 Proof reading, vocab and analogies Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 1:24 pm

miss batte can you send to me the paper that is introduction to genres because i was absent in a week and i didn't take it so please can you send it to me on the e-mail:
abdelrahman_elamawy@hotmail.com Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
i think your in trouble :s
Back to top Go down
abdelrahman_elamawy

PostSubject: hello   Dec 17 Proof reading, vocab and analogies Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 3:36 pm

oh im sorry i found it
again im really sorry
have a nice trip miss batte
Back to top Go down
Hashem Elezabi

PostSubject: Re: Dec 17 Proof reading, vocab and analogies   Dec 17 Proof reading, vocab and analogies Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 12:53 pm

Hi, Mahmoud ElKady,
I miss you sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much along with the whole class. I looked the word connotation in the dictionary and I tried to understand what Miss Batte put for us but I can't understand anything, even when I looked the word. First, The miss writes different numbers 1, 4, 2, 3, 7, 6, 8, and it isn't clear. Second, I can't understand what a positive and negative connotation is. Nothing is clear at all. Do you think you can explain it for me.
Best Wishes,
Hashem Elezabi
Back to top Go down
Mahmoud El Kadi

Mahmoud El Kadi

PostSubject: Re: Dec 17 Proof reading, vocab and analogies   Dec 17 Proof reading, vocab and analogies Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 2:26 pm

The word connotation means"An idea expressed by a word in addition to its main meaning". For an example the word spinster means an unmarried woman but it has negative connotations, because spinster means an unmarried , old fashioned woman. Rather than saying a single woman, which is a positive connotation, you should say the word spinster, which is a negative connotaion, if the sheet ask you for a negative connotation. Concerning the mixed up numders(which I asume is a puzzle) just right down your answers and forget about the numbers completly. You will find words and it's connations mixed up together, all you have to do is to match correctly. This is what I have done. I hope I helped you! Smile Wink Cool
Back to top Go down
nourhan attallah

nourhan attallah

PostSubject: Re: Dec 17 Proof reading, vocab and analogies   Dec 17 Proof reading, vocab and analogies Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 3:06 pm

Mahmoud El Kadi wrote:
The word connotation means"An idea expressed by a word in addition to its main meaning". For an example the word spinster means an unmarried woman but it has negative connotations, because spinster means an unmarried , old fashioned woman. Rather than saying a single woman, which is a positive connotation, you should say the word spinster, which is a negative connotaion, if the sheet ask you for a negative connotation. Concerning the mixed up numders(which I asume is a puzzle) just right down your answers and forget about the numbers completly. You will find words and it's connations mixed up together, all you have to do is to match correctly. This is what I have done. I hope I helped you! Smile Wink Cool

MAHMOUD , u did really helped alot Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Laughing thxxx Smile
santa Like a Star @ heaven santa happy new year santa Like a Star @ heaven santa
i missed u soo much goin to see u all on sunday isa Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dec 17 Proof reading, vocab and analogies   Dec 17 Proof reading, vocab and analogies Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dec 17 Proof reading, vocab and analogies
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next