Egyptian British International School
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

YEAR 8 GEOGRAPHY REVISION

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
jbutler

YEAR 8 GEOGRAPHY REVISION Empty
PostSubject: YEAR 8 GEOGRAPHY REVISION   YEAR 8 GEOGRAPHY REVISION Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 4:13 pm

Good afternoon to all Year 8 Geographers.

As you should know by now the topics that you need to revise for the examinations in January, I am going to post some revision tasks that you can test yourself with. I will tell you at a later date how you can check the answers.

You will have to look VERY carefully at the map at the back of NKGF to find all the features mentioned. Use it as an opportunity to look closely at the map and key so that you have a better understanding of how different features are displayed on a map. You do not have to memorise any of the information. Use the opportunity to improve your map reading skills.

Online Revision Task 1 Map skills
You will need to use the map and the key on the inside back cover of NEW KEY GEOGRAPHY FOUNDATIONS.

Try to answer the following questions for yourself:-
1)In which direction would you travel to go from Manor Farm to the town of Harston?
2)In which direction would you travel to go from Addenbrooke’s Hospital to Barton?
3)Use the scale line at the top of the ‘Key’ page work out the following( take care to measure from 0- 1 on the black part of the scale line):-
a)1Km = cm
b)The straight line distance between Manor farm and the top of Rowley’s Hill = Km
c)The straight line distance between Haggis Farm and River farm = Km
d)The straight line distance between Little Shelford and Great Shelford = Km
4)Using the triangulation pillar record the highest point on Rowley’s Hill
5)Using the contour lines to find the height of Haston Hill?
6)Find the human and physical features in the following grid squares. When you record the work add an H or P to show that you know if the feature is either human or physical:-
a)What is the farm in grid square 4252?
b)What is the name of the road that runs through grid square 4257?
c)What is the name of the river that flows through grid square 4751?

Online Revision Task 2 Types of Geography
7)Using pages 6-11 define the following terms:-
•Physical geography
•Human geography
•Environmental geography

You should be able to explain how man damages the environment by use of natural resources. Go back to the report that you should have written for the home study Review Task 3. Read the comments and use the evidence YOU collected for the task.
8)Use your own notes and pages 8-9 to define ‘key’ vocabulary associated with human geography.

9)Make sure that you recall how useful an atlas is and the terms physical and political in relation to map types. Remember also to revise your work on latitude and longitude.
Online Revision Task 3 Weather and Climate
Try answering the following questions for yourself:-
10)What is the difference between weather and climate?

11)Why is it important to study the weather? How are different groups of people affected by changes in the weather, especially unexpected or sudden changes.

12)What are the main processes that ‘drive’ the water cycle?

13)When we get excessive amounts of rainfall the land may get flooded. Think about what happens when there is too much precipitation (rain) falling on the land for the ground to absorb it or river channels to contain it.

(Look back to the water cycle to remind you of what happens when rain reaches the ground).

What are the effects of too much rain?
How does the excessive rainfall affect the land and then consequently the people who live on the land?
What are the immediate effects? ( I.E. those effects that happen straight away)
What might be the longer term effects ?( I.E. the long term damage that affects the land and the people for some considerable time...maybe weeks or even months).

Happy New Year to you all
Ms Butler
Back to top Go down
nahla wael

nahla wael

PostSubject: Re: YEAR 8 GEOGRAPHY REVISION   YEAR 8 GEOGRAPHY REVISION Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 2:41 pm

i cant understand that task!!!! Exclamation Rolling Eyes plz help me ms butler ?
Back to top Go down
Rana Mahmoud

Rana Mahmoud

PostSubject: Re: YEAR 8 GEOGRAPHY REVISION   YEAR 8 GEOGRAPHY REVISION Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2009 12:07 am

Ms. Butler
me as well i cant really understand it ?!!
Back to top Go down
mai magdy

mai magdy

PostSubject: Re: YEAR 8 GEOGRAPHY REVISION   YEAR 8 GEOGRAPHY REVISION Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 11:57 pm

i also can't understand this task plzz reply

mai magdy
y.8
Back to top Go down
Rana Mahmoud

Rana Mahmoud

PostSubject: Re: YEAR 8 GEOGRAPHY REVISION   YEAR 8 GEOGRAPHY REVISION Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 12:08 am

yea plz we need to finish the task before we go to school again
right ?
Back to top Go down
Youssef Tawfeek

Youssef Tawfeek

PostSubject: Re: YEAR 8 GEOGRAPHY REVISION   YEAR 8 GEOGRAPHY REVISION Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 8:55 pm

i don't understant what to do

Youssef
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: YEAR 8 GEOGRAPHY REVISION   YEAR 8 GEOGRAPHY REVISION Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

YEAR 8 GEOGRAPHY REVISION
Page 1 of 1