Egyptian British International School
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages

Go down 
+4
abdelrahman_elamawy
Ahmed Youssuf
Ali
Hashem Elezabi
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Hashem Elezabi

Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages Empty
PostSubject: Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages   Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 2:14 pm

Good Afternoon, miss Morsey,
I miss you soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much. Miss, sorry but I have a couple of questions about the video you posted. First, how do we turn the fraction into an equivalent decimal? I know how do we turn 1/2, 1/5, and 1/4 to equivalent decimals, but what if in the exam 2/7 came and I must turn it to a decimal, how?
Best Wishes,
Hashem Elezabi
Back to top Go down
Hashem Elezabi

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages   Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 2:27 pm

I miss you soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much. Miss, I'm really sorry, but I have another question about percentages. What if in the exam came a question saying: Find 18% of 65, or like in the work sheet "alligator swamp" 12% of 75, if we made it 12/100, we can't divide 75 by 100, and if we divided it we'll get an answer of 0.75, and like this there will be a decimal in a fraction, and this can't be. When we simplify 12/100, we get 6/50 and if we divide 75 by 50 we get an answer of 1 and a big remainder (25). What do we do then.
Sorry for the questions,
Please reply,
Best Wishes,
Hashem Elezabi
Back to top Go down
Hashem Elezabi

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages   Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 2:54 pm

Miss, I know you are really disappointed from the amount of questions, sorry. In the video, all the examples you put were like 1/4, how do we get the percentage, we make 1/4 = ?/100, 4 x what = 100, (25), then 1 x 25 =25/100, 25%, so always in the examples the denominator can be multiplied by something to be 100. What if in the exam came a question saying 3/6, get the percentage, we can't multiply 6 (the denominator) by something to be 100. How do we do it?
Sorry again for the questions
Please reply,
Best Wishes,
Hashem Elezabi
Back to top Go down
Ali

Ali

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages   Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 2:56 pm

Good afternoon Hashem! How are you my friend? I miss you sooooooo much. I wanted to tell you that I had the same problem as yours (both decimals and percentages) and I posted a message for Ms.Morsey saying that but she told me there will be 65%,18%... in the exam and we should do the hard problems we are facing the same way as the easy ones like 25%, 50%, 75% but still I can't do them.
Back to top Go down
Ahmed Youssuf

Ahmed Youssuf

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages   Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 3:09 pm

Hi guys,
I miss u sooooo much,
I dont know if this would help or
not but i wish it does!!!

an example of percentages: 12% of 75
we will imagine that it is 12 over 100
we can do 75 divided by 100 is 0. 75 (as we learnt at the beggining of the year)
then we can do 0. 75 x 12= 9
and we will do this for all the otheer numbers,
i wish this hellps,
Best wishes,
ahmed santa
Back to top Go down
Hashem Elezabi

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages   Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 4:06 pm

Good afternoon, dearest Ali and Ahmed,
I miss you soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much. I just can't wait to meet you again, my friends. Yes Ali, there aren't any examples about the hard ones like 65% and 18% and so on in the video, and me too I still can't do them, but I'm afraid they're in the exam. Thanks Ahmed for helping us, but I have one other question: how did we do 0.75 x 12 to get 9.
Please reply,
Thanks again,
Best Wishes,
Hashem Elezabi

Last edited by Hashem Elezabi on Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hashem Elezabi

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages   Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 4:09 pm

Good Afternoon, Ahmed and Ali,
Does anybody know how to turn a fraction like 2/7 to an equivalent decimal?
Please reply if you know,
Best Wishes,
Hashem Elezabi
Back to top Go down
abdelrahman_elamawy

PostSubject: hello   Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 6:58 pm

hashem you should divide it but on the calculator.
miss you so much. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ahmed Youssuf

Ahmed Youssuf

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages   Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 10:14 pm

Hashem Elezabi wrote:
Good Afternoon, Ahmed and Ali,
Does anybody know how to turn a fraction like 2/7 to an equivalent decimal?
Please reply if you know,
Best Wishes,
Hashem Elezabi

HI hashem,
i wish this helps,
we will do 2 divided by 7=0
then we will put a 0 beside the 2 to be 20 divided by 7=2
2 x 7=14 then 20 - 14= 6 we will the put a 0 beside the 6 to be
60 divided by 7= 8
and then dont worry about the remander and dont include it
and the answer will be 0. 28
I wish this helps again !!

Best wishes,
Ahmed santa
P.S: Happy coming new year and hi abdo i did not use a calculator i did it by the way above. santa
Back to top Go down
abdelrahman_elamawy

PostSubject: hello   Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 10:57 pm

i dont no my brother said that afterwards thank you helped me out.
miss you soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much.
best wishes Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ahmed Youssuf

Ahmed Youssuf

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages   Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 11:15 pm

abdelrahman_elamawy wrote:
i dont no my brother said that afterwards thank you helped me out.
miss you soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much.
best wishes Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

U are welcome
and i miss u more !!!!!!!

Best wishes,
Ahmed study king
Back to top Go down
Hashem Elezabi

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages   Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 8:46 am

Ahmed, as I said in the Literacy forum, I don't know how to thank you. You helped me a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot. Thanks very much. Thanqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq. I understood and what you posted really helped.
Thanks again,
Best Wishes,
Hashem Elezabi
Back to top Go down
Hashem Elezabi

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages   Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 8:49 am

Good Morning, Ahmed,
I miss you soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much. I have another question: how do we do 0.75 x 12 to get 9?
Please reply,
Thanks for helping,
Best Wishes,
Hashem Elezabi
Back to top Go down
Ahmed Youssuf

Ahmed Youssuf

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages   Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 2:48 pm

Hashem Elezabi wrote:
Good Morning, Ahmed,
I miss you soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much. I have another question: how do we do 0.75 x 12 to get 9?
Please reply,
Thanks for helping,
Best Wishes,
Hashem Elezabi
Hi Hashem,
I missu moooooorrreee and ur welcome!!!

we can do 0.75 x 12
by putting the 2 under the 5 and the 1 under the 7
and under the 0 we will put nothing.
2x 5= 10 then 2x 7 =14+1 = 15 then 2 x 0=0+1=1. 50
Then we will do the same with 1 and the answer will be: 0.75
and finally: 1. 50 + 0.75= 9.00
P.S: remember that we have to leve a space so the 5 in 0.75 will be under the 5 in 1.50!!
I wish this helps,
Best wishes,
Ahmed santa
Back to top Go down
Ms.Morsey

Ms.Morsey

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages   Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 10:05 am

Ok guys.. I just read your messages.. I will show you the easiest way to convert fractions into decimals and vice versa and I'll tell you exactly what is expected of you in the exam.. just give me some time. I'll try to make a video but if I can't I'll do it in a word document and upload it..
Back to top Go down
omarash

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages   Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages Icon_minitimeFri Dec 25, 2009 2:20 pm

miss morsey this is mohammad
can you please post the 3 sheets on the forum pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase
Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed afro afro
Back to top Go down
Ms.Morsey

Ms.Morsey

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages   Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 12:50 pm

Goodmorning year 6!

Sorry for the late reply guys.. anyway.. let me first explain to u what you shud know EXACTLY for the exam...

1. how to convert a fraction into a decimal where the denominator is 10 or a denominator that can be converted into 10 ONLY - so ex: what is 3/10 in decimal point? 0.3 5/10 = 0.5 ... and so on.. and You will not be asked to convert fractions with denominators other than 10.

2. how to find the percentage of a quantity.. and u will only be asked for percentages in 5 intervals.. ya3ni 5, 10, 15, 20, 25... and so on.. i will NOT get 18% and 62% .. only 10, 20, 25, 15, 35.. etc... and i will post how to find the percentage of a quantity.

3. how to find the fraction of a quantity where the nominator can be 1 or more.. ex 1/7 or 3/5 or 7/8 of a quantity.

4. You will NOT be asked to convert a fraction to a percentage, but you will need to know how to convert a percent to a fraction in order to find the % of the quantity.. for example... if i tell you what is 30% of 600 you will do it in the following way:
STEP 1: convert 30% to a fraction, which will be 3/10 ( because 30% = 30/100 = 3/10)
STEP 2: 3/10 of 600 (now it's easy): find 1/10 first: so 600 divided by 10= 60.. then 60 x 3=180. So 30% of 600=180

I will not get anything with remainders...

I hope it's clearer now. I will post another word document that fully explains percentage with examples.

For anybody who does not have a worksheet, I can't post them on the forum.. so just practise by doing the exercises from the textbook, the page numbers are written in the study guide.
Back to top Go down
Ahmed Youssuf

Ahmed Youssuf

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages   Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 1:16 pm

ThanQ Mss. Morsey
very much!!!

U helped us a lot,,
and i miss u sooooooo much.

and Happy new year!!,

Best wishes,
Ahmed santa
Back to top Go down
Ali

Ali

PostSubject: Thank you   Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 1:40 pm

Thank you Ms.Morsey very much. It helped a lot. Now percentages is so simple and easy. I miss you so much. Thanks again and I wish you a happy new year.

Best wishes,
Ali
Back to top Go down
abdelrahman_elamawy

PostSubject: hello   Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 3:56 pm

hello miss morsey i miss youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu so much.
miss morsey you really don't have to tire yourself. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy.afterward thank you very much like ali and ahmed said its very easy.
happy new year Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
Omar ashraf shebl

Omar ashraf shebl

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages   Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 9:43 pm

Hi Ms.Morsey! I just want to ask you a question: 30% is 30/100, why is it converted to 3/10? Please reply.

Best wishes,
Omar Ashraf
Back to top Go down
Ahmed Youssuf

Ahmed Youssuf

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages   Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 10:49 pm

Omar ashraf shebl wrote:
Hi Ms.Morsey! I just want to ask you a question: 30% is 30/100, why is it converted to 3/10? Please reply.

Best wishes,
Omar Ashraf

Hi Omar,
I miss u sooo much!!
we did 30/100 as 3/10
as simplifying by dividing
each number by ten
to be easier when we divide
and get 30/100 or 3/10 of
a number,!!
I wish this helps,
Best Wishes,
Ahmed!! santa
Back to top Go down
Ms.Morsey

Ms.Morsey

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages   Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 11:08 pm

That's right ahmed! spot on! cheers

Remember when we took how to simplify fractions omar? ex: 2/4 : you divide the nominator and denominator by a common number, which is two, so 2/4=1/2, because each number is divided by 2..

In the same way, 30/100 = 3/10, because each number is divided by 10. They are equivalent in value..

Thank you boys - you are all so good and I'm glad to help. Please don't hesitate if there is anything you don't understand scratch

Smile
Back to top Go down
Omar ashraf shebl

Omar ashraf shebl

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages   Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2009 8:16 pm

thanks very much ms.morsey and ahmed for answering my question miss are we going to answer any page in the book
plz reply
p.s.miss you all
have a nice evening
Back to top Go down
Ahmed Youssuf

Ahmed Youssuf

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages   Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2009 10:38 pm

Omar ashraf shebl wrote:
thanks very much ms.morsey and ahmed for answering my question miss are we going to answer any page in the book
plz reply
p.s.miss you all
have a nice evening

You are welcome Omar!,
at any time!!

And i miss u sooo much,
and i wish u a happy new year!! santa
Best wishes,
Ahmed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages   Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Questions about Equivalent Decimals and Percentages
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next